|Home||News||Classes||Events||Five Principles||Links||History||Videos||Syllabus||Profiles||Photo Album||Grand Masters|
Garson started his Karate training in 1992 in the Shotokan style with Sensei Andy Holmes, while a student at Simon Fraser University. He attained his Nidan in 2000 with the Canadian Shotokan Karate Association and has been teaching at SFU in various capacities since 1995.
Garson is well known in Karate BC for his contributions as a volunteer, tournament organizer, and finally as Manager of the BC Team in 2003-4.
In 2011, Garson earned his Yondan (4th Degree Black Belt) from the International Shihan Kai, which consists of the Japanese Executive council, the American Shihan Kai, & the Canadian Shihan Kai in Vancouver, BC.
In 2004, Garson expanded his Martial Arts horizons by training in Tesshinkan Kobudo and Seito Shito Ryu Karate-do with Sensei William Chung.
Here are some of Garson's well-earned accomplishments in the many tournaments he has attended in the past several years.
• 2005 - 5th Seito Shito Ryu Karate-do Taikai, Osaka, Japan.
o Team Member
• 2007 - 6th Seito Shito Ryu Karate-do Taikai, Lake Placid, New York.
o Team Member
• 2009 - 7th Seito Shito Ryu Karatedo Taikai, Osaka, Japan
o Bronze Medal: Kata (Senior Men's Black Belt Kata)
• 2011 - 8th Seito Shito Ryu Karate-do International Taikai - Vancouver, BC
o Gold Medal: Team Kata Advanced
o Gold Medal: Kumite (Advanced Seniors and Masters Men)
o Gold Medal: Kata (Advanced Seniors and Masters Men)
• 2013 - 9th Seito Shito Ryu Karate-do International Taikai - Osaka, Japan
o Team Coach
• 2015 - 10th Seito Shito Ryu Karate-do International Taikai – San Francisco, California
o Gold Medal: Kumite (Advanced Masters Men)
Garson is currently instructing the Intermediate/Advanced Youth program at the Cambie Community Centre in East Richmond, BC.